Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat won't eat anything and hasn't eaten for at least 4…

My cat won't eat...

My cat won't eat anything and hasn't eaten for at least 4 days.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?

Rainey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rainey?

She's never had any medical problems in the past. This is all very new for her.

8/18/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. IF YOU GET REQUEST FOR A PHONE CALL, IT IS FROM THE WEBSITE AND NOT MYSELF. JUST IGNORE IT. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How old is Rainey?

Has she had any vomiting?

Is there a yellowish tint to her gums, eyes or skin?

How much time does she spend outside?

She is somewhere between 5 and 7 years old -- I got her from a family who were unsure of her age 3 years ago. She has not vomited lately, but she does have a history of vomiting when she eats too much. Over the last three weeks or so I noticed she wasn't eating as much and she has lost a lot of weight. About a week or so ago I started giving her wet food thinking that might help. For a few days she ate the wet food, but over the last four days or so she has eaten nearly nothing and only seems to lick the wet food and drink a little water. She's an indoor cat, has never been particularly active, but she seems even less inclined to do anything other than sleep lately. Sorry for the long answer!

Thanks for the information.

What about any yellowish tint to those areas?

Has she had any increase in drinking or urination?

No yellowish tint. She has not had an increase in drinking or urination, in fact, I'd say she's had a decrease.

Thanks for the information. If she has a history of vomiting, she may actually have an underlying liver problem, pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease or any combination of those. What we are finding is that these chronic vomiting cats actually one, two or all three of these underlying issues. Now her current symptoms can be related to any of these diseases as well. My primary concerns are a liver or pancreatic problem. If she tends to get into things or swallow things; then a foreign body obstruction is very possible. The problem you have with cats is that their liver cannot tolerate starvation. After 3 days of not eating (or eating practically nothing), their liver can shut down due to being bombarded with the metabolites of the breakdown of their fat stores. It is called hepatic lipidosis, and it can be a more serious disease than the inciting cause of the anorexia. For that reason, if a cat hasn't eaten for more than 2 days, I highly recommend to get them to the vet to be evaluated ASAP. Trying different things to entice eating, such as chicken broth, warming it up in the microwave or trying chicken and rice can take too long and may cause more problems. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Ok. Thank you for your help. I have an appt with her vet on Sunday -- is that too far off? I just got her to eat about half a can a wet food a few minutes ago. Obviously, I want to make sure she's ok, but that seems to be the earliest I can get her in.

You are very welcome. I feel better about her eating the half can of wet food, but if you can get her seen sooner than Sunday, I would highly recommend it. These can be time sensitive issues. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian