Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

5month kitten swallowed some plastic bits, cosmo, he threw…

5month kitten swallowed some...

5month kitten swallowed some plastic bits

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the kitten will be able to digest that. What is the kitten's name?

Cosmo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cosmo?

He threw up twice, the first time a few plastic bits came up. the second time, just 'spit' he is licking his wet food but not eating chunks of it

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/18/2017
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you....

thanks

what size were the plastic bits?

maybe 2-3cm long and 1-2 cm wide
no blood in his stool or vomit. we are debating taking him in tomorrow

You definitely need to take your kitten in and I would recommend tonight. These will not pass......and it is better to try to get them out of stomach than risk intestinal involvement....

even though he vomited once, you think there may still be more in there?
that is why he is vomiting the spit

Yes, there very well could be and this is a medical emergency.....yes...

What do you think the vet will do? surgery??

I hope that they will be able to either get him to throw up the rest or scope him with endoscope to get out of the stomach....

They will first have to ascertain whether they think there is more in there....

ok

Can I answer any other questions?

If he is not showing any signs of lethargy- is that a good sign? or at this point we just need to get him to the hospital

he would not show any signs yet.....get him to hospital.....

ok thank you.

Sure thing.......DRB

Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).
Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian

Let me know if I can assist with follow up.....DRB