Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I just saw little moving worms in my cats feces. I use

I just saw little white moving worms in my cats feces. I use revolution on her, she was due for more in a few days and so I went ahead and put it on. Will this take care of it? I put her in a room alone because of the other animals. I've also noticed blood in her urine. It's too late to take her to the vet and I hate to lock her up, is this necessary?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Katarina, and she is about 2 years
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Katarina
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Katarina?
Customer: No

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Did this little white worm look like a piece of rice? Did it look like a piece of spaghetti? Was this feces in the litter box inside of your house?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They were small like rice and moving, she will only go on a pee pad.

Ok. If these looked like little rice segments flattening out and then thickening up and repeating this, then the suspicion is high for tapeworms. Tapeworms can be picked up by eating a flea or by eating a mouse as the most common causes. Placing the revolution on her wouldn't treat for tapeworms. The medication needed to treat tapeworms is praziquantel and it is given as a single oral dose to treat the tapeworms that are in the intestinal tract. The key to preventing them from getting them again is to make sure they are kept on flea prevention (aka the Revolution), and to hope they don't catch any mice. The blood in her urine, that could be due to a urinary tract infection. What would be a good idea is to take her tomorrow to your vet so they can evaluate a urine sample and to then use the correct dewormer for the tapeworm treatment. They may want to do a fecal exam to make sure there are no other parasites at hand.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
should i keep her away from the other animals? and can it be passed to humans?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She does not go outside and we have never had a mouse, however a dog visited that had fleas last week and I didn't know he had fleas until later. Could it happen that quickly? We've never had fleas on any of our animals so it couldn't be that.

Tapeworms can't be passed to people or other animals by these worms. This stage of the organism isn't infectious to people or pets. If it is the one passed by fleas, it actually has to be eaten by a flea and then the flea eaten by something to get it. She may have gotten it from eating a mouse.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She doesn't go outside and I've never seen a mouse in our house.

The eating of a flea shouldn't have allowed tapeworms to get to the stage to see them pass with stools in that time frame. Could she have had a single flea get on her at some point in the past and she ate it? That is possible.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That has to be it sounds like. I had no idea. Thank you so much!!

I glad to help and hope everything goes well!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?