Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 2 year old domestic shorthair, Clyde, has scabs on his…

My 2 year old...

My 2 year old domestic shorthair, Clyde, has scabs on his back near his neck. The vet last week said it was dermatitis & gave him an injection of Convenia & an injection of Depo Medrol. It cleared up in 2 days, but now he has scabs again.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

His name is

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

His name is***** put Neosporin or A&D Ointment on it? I've been using vaseline. I bought a collar, but he won't let me put it on him. He can lick the scabs because they're on his back, but close to his neck.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/17/2017
Amber Hinson

You can put Neosporin on them but chances on he will just lick it off. If you could put the cone collar on him that would be best but I know cats can be fussy when it comes to those collars.

That being said, I agree with your vet and I would have done the same thing as a first line treatment - Convenia and Depo. If that didn't work effectively he may need additional testing like bloodwork and a biopsy. Did you call the vet and tell them the lesions came back?

I tried putting the cone on him again with no luck. He also can use his hind leg and scratch because he's now scratched some of the scabs off. I've been calling the vet (Atlanta Humane Society Vet Center) & leaving messages since yesterday and they haven't returned my call (the phones go straight to voicemail). That's why I got online to try to get some help. Will he get sick if he licks off the Neosporin?

Cats are clever! They are too smart for their own good which makes them difficult patients!

No, he won't get "sick" if he licks off the Neosporin but it may give him a touch of diarrhea if he ingests too much. Just put a thin layer on twice a day.

Have you considered attempting to put a baby T-shirt on him? Many cats will wear them and that way he can't lick or scratch.

I still think he needs additional testing. They may be eosinophilic plaques which will not go away with Neosporin. These plaques are most often seen on the abdomen and thighs but I have seen them other places like the back and neck.

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/skin/c_ct_eosinophilic_granuloma_complex

If you have not been using a flea prevention I would do so ASAP. If it is Eosinophilic plaques they can be due to allergic reaction (often times to parasites). Even if he is indoors only, in your area of the South, I would use flea prevention religiously.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions!

Dr. Amber

Will do. Thank you.

You're welcome! I bet the T-shirt will do the trick if you can one to fit him - shouldn't be a problem to find.

So, Neosporin twice a day; T-shirt; and flea prevention (a good one like Frontline or Advantage - NOT HARTZ).

Try that for a week or two and see what happens. If no improvement get him back to the vet for more testing.

Thank you so much! I certainly will take your advice!

You are very welcome! I hope he likes the shirt more than the collar! lol ;)

Amber Hinson
I'm headed to Walmart now to get a T-shirt.