Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

2 5 month old kittens who started having stinky diarrhea.

One has blood in her...
2 5 month old kittens who started having stinky diarrhea. One has blood in her stool and urine. I thought maybe it was their canned food which looked different than before. Tool to the vet last week. Both got a shot of convenia and antidiarrhea med. I took them stool samples. No worms. Going back to vet tomorrow because none of this helped. They had their first shots about a month ago. The article on this page scares me, about distemper. Is it possible to get distemper from the distemper vaccine?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the kitten can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Schroeder is the boy and Marcie the girl who is bleeding. These kittens have been in the house for about 3 months and have not been I'll until now. I have grown cats too and none are sick.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: No
I forgot to say they both had bloodwork done. They showed elevated white blood count but everything else was ok
8/16/2017
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Feline panleukopenia (commonly referred to as feline distemper) commonly causes signs of anemia, this would have shown up on their bloodwork so is unlikely to be the cause. It is not possible for the vaccine to cause this disease.

Did your vet send fecal samples away for culture? Bacteria such as campylobacter or salmonella can cause the signs you are describing and may not be evident on a microscopic examination. If your vet did not send a sample away, this would be a good next step in investigating the cause of the diarrhea.

Would the antibiotic shot, Convenia, destroy campylobacter or salmonella?

The convenia could potentially be feective against salmonella, but it would likely have little effect against campylobacter. It all depends on the sensitivity of the bacteria and only lab cultures would show that.

Richard Rawling

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling