Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a one year old bengal cat who up until a few days ago…

I have a one...

I have a one year old bengal cat who up until a few days ago was a wild and crazy guy and a very athletic jumper. I noticed a few evenings ago that he was walking with a strange gate. He was walking with his right hind leg out at an angle from his body and walking as though he wasn't sure it would hold his weight. No swelling that I could see. No sharp angle where there shouldn't be one. No sign that it hurts -- he doesn't hold it up. But he does have trouble jumping now. he make a sort of half-hearted leap to the bed and then pull himself up with his front legs. He's eating fine...and is quite perky...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

There's no sign of abcess...it seem more mechanical....

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Bengal's name?

Prince Basil Skylarovich...aka Stinky.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Bengal?

He's subject to intermittent diarrhea which seems to be food related....pumpkin seems to help. He was wormed a week ago....he's an indoor-outdoor cat and a mighty hunter....eats lots of rodents and birds....

8/15/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Stinky. That is good that he's able to use the leg to the degree he is and that you aren't seeing any visble sores, swelling or irregularities. In saying that, there could still be a mechanical issue at hand like you are suspicious of. Could he have injured a ligament in his knee or could he have broke something with his femoral head or pelvis. Both of these situations can present very similar to what you are seeing. Ideally your vet should do an exam on him if this isn't resolving in the next few days. They can palpate the leg and take X-rays to see what that reveals. This may be something that hopefully time is the big factor for resolving this. At home, the best you can do for him is rest. Don't try to give him anything for pain as there are no approved OTC medications for cats. Watch for this getting worse or him having areas of swelling or specific areas of pain developing.
Thank you, ***** ***** made an appointment for him two days from now....(I'm thinking patellar luxation -- but he's not a cat who likes being "handled" so he's not going to let me mess with one of his legs).
That is good that you have that appointment set up. Patellar luxationa can happen, they seem to be more of a small dog issue than a cat issue in general. Don't try to figure this out on your own. Rest is the best now and then see what your vet finds!
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Stinky saw the vet Thursday. It was indeed a medial patellar luxation. Bengals and Cheetohs (along with some other long legged cats) are more prone to them than other domestic cats. It had popped back into place by the time the vet saw him. The recommendation was rest and observation.
I'm glad that rest and time are the course of action that is being pursued and hope for the quickest recovery for him. Tell him to take it easy!