Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 9 year indoor cat that has a thyroid condition and…

Customer Question
Hello - i have...

Hello - i have a 9 year indoor cat that has a thyroid condition and eats very little. Medicine from the Vet made him vomit everyday and was not working. I purchased Thyroid Support Gold from Pet Wellbeing and it worked for about 2 months. When I say worked I am referring to the fact that his appetite picked up. He eats very little and I am worried. i have changed foods from dry to wet and have changed brands and flavors. He likes butter and eats a little of that each day. Please advise. Thank you.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

No he has not eaten anything unusable that i know of. He never goes outside.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

He was a stray that my sister found in her barn. He had worms before he moved in with me.(9 years ago) He doesn't come in contact with other animals outside of an occasional dog. I live in a high rise to the dogs are leashed at all times

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/14/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago

Did he have blood work to diagnose his thyroid condition? The pattern doesn`t quite fit together. Cats usually have trouble with an overactive thyroid which usually results in a ravenous appetite. If he has a reduced appetite, then I suspect some other problem may be ongoing here.

he had blood work - The vet gave him blood work because he was losing weight. She (the vet) said losing weight is a sign of hyperthyroid.
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago

Losing weight is yes, but they often have a ravenous appetite with it. How long ago did he have the blood work?

Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago

I`m afraid I am unable to offer a live phone call from the UK, but I am happy to continue here. if you would prefer, I can opt out and one of the other vets may be able to offer this service?

do you have any recommendations stimulate my cat's appetite
Do you have any recommendations stimulate my cat's appetite
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago

There are various things you can do to stimulate a cats appetite. Their appetite depends highly on their sense of smell, so offering smellier foods such as fish can help stimulate appetite. Also, heating the food in a microwave, just for a few seconds, not to warm the food up, but just to bring out the aromas from the food. There is some medication such as mirtazipine that can act as an appetite stimulant and can be very effective.

If he is showing signs of nausea, then medication such as zantac can be effective at reducing the signs of nausea leading to an improvement in appetite.

However if your cat has weight loss aswell as reduced appetite, it may be wise to consider further investigations, as the initial suspicion of herperthyroidism may not be his primary current problem.