Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I appreciate your question! Well, she's about three years…

Customer Question
Hi there. I appreciate...

Hi there. I appreciate your question! Well, she's about three years old and over the past few days I've noticed completely at random she will make a sudden, sharp meow as if she has some type of instantaneous internal pain that subsides quickly. just looking to see if anyone else has described anything similar. current browsing an article relating to IBD or excessive gas but I'm not sure that's it. Her diet hasn't changed at all recently

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Libby

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Libby?

She's an indoor cat that I occasionally allow in the fenced back-yard under supervision

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/9/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am sorry for your concerns about Libby. When she vocalizes, have you ever noticed any twitching, rippling, or rolling of her skin, especially along her back? Has she ever run, or acted scared at this time?

Hi Linda, thanks for your reply. She definitely flinches when she vocalizes, her head seems to arch toward her abdomen whilst flinching. She's always laying down when it happens and never runs when it happens. This has happened 4 or 5 times since Sunday.
One other observation I noticed is that she seems to gag a bit immediately after she vocalizes. That's why I thought it might be gas.

Thanks for the reply. This sounds like a condition we call Hyperesthesia Syndrome. It is an actual disorder in cats that results in rippling, or rolling of the skin along the spine. There has been very little research on the disorder, & the underlying cause, or pathophysiology, remains elusive. What we do know is that it is seen more frequently in some breeds ( Siamese, Burmese, Persians, & Abyssinians ), but can be seen in any cat , & it seems to occur most in cats 1-5 years of age.

Other primary rule outs would be flea allergy dermatitis, food allergies, & atopy, or an environmental allergy. Then there are other possibilities such as a inflammatory muscle disorder, something neurological, or even behavioral.

The first step is to have Libby examined by your veterinarian. I always try a steroid injection ( which cats tolerate very well ) to rule out some type of allergic component. If Libby does not seem to respond within several days, then putting her on a limited ingredient diet, like a duck or venison with green peas for 6-8 weeks, will rule out a food allergy. Worse case scenario is if this is neurological. Then we try an epilepsy drug called phenobarbital. If this is the case, the prognosis is very good for controlling the signs of hyperesthesia syndrome.

So, a couple of things to try. I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Thank you for your time Linda, this was helpful.

I am so glad I could help.

Take care & all the best for Libby.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian