PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Our cat has been sneezing and a little cough for last couple

Customer Question

Our cat has been sneezing and a little cough for last couple days. Previous to Jim, our other cat seemed to have had the same thing but is fine now. One of his eyes was a little watery also. We went away for the night and when we got back the whole side of his face that had the watery eye is swollen. Wondering if there's anything we can try at home?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Cosmo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cosmo?
Customer: Don't think so. He's never been sick. Only 2 years old
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Good morning, JACustomer. It sounds like Cosmo may be battling some seasonal allergies. You can use OTC human antihistamine Chlorpheniramine to help with this. Cosmo will need 1-4mg given by mouth up to twice daily. You can use this medication as long as is needed to help with the symptoms. If the symptoms worsen, you see thick discharge from the eyes or nose, vomiting, diarrhea, avoidance of food or water, etc., Cosmo will need to be in to see your veterinarian for diagnostics and treatment.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Cosmo today?