Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I took my cat into the emergency vet on Friday night because

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I took my cat into the emergency vet on Friday night because he was listless, out of character, and overgrooming his genital area. He also had been vomiting and going back and forth to the litterbox. He seems to be in much better spirits today and has been eating and drinking, but we haven't seen him use the litterbox in the last 24 hours. The vet initially said cystitis, but we're waiting on lab cultures. Given the time he's gone without using the litterbox, we're wondering if we should take him back to the emergency vet or if we should wait longer to see if he goes.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: He was terrified at the emergency vet and had to be sedated multiple times, so we're really struggling with what the right thing to do is between getting him checked out and causing severe distress to him.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Did they do xrays on your cat? Have you noticed him straining in the litter box?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
they did x-rays and bloodwork and urine. X-rays were negative, his bladder was small, and there was very little urine in it. They could only take out a little urine and it had a high specific gravity and he was a little dehydrated. Bloodwork was normal except for high glucose. Urine was sent out for culture. We have not seen him straining at the litter box, he walks around it almost as if he's thinking about going. He's been locked in our bedroom with us and his litterbox/food/water and hasn't used the litterbox since maybe last night (we're not sure if it was one of the other cats that we've since kept out of our room). We couldn't give him the anti-emetic last night; we did just give him the pain killer he was prescribed about 45 minutes ago and he's now locked in our bathroom with his litterbox.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Since he has potential cystitis you may want to take him to the emergency vet clinic to have someone feel his bladder just to make sure he is not going to be blocked. Since you haven't noticed him straining he may be just urinating very small amounts frequently or holding his urine in for now.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
At the vet clinic they ruled out a blockage and said they would've been able to see it on the x-ray.

Yes he probably wasn't blocked at the time he was seen. But a male cat with cystitis is still at high risk of becoming blocked eventually because of the inflammation that is going on with the bladder. So if there is no urination you would want to make sure that didn't occur . Since you haven't seen him strain I would suspect that it probably isn't the case but I can't tell you for sure without examining him myself

They shouldn't have to repeat an x-ray. All they have to do is to feel the bladder to make sure it is still small.