Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has what looks like tissue half her left eye. She

Customer Question

My cat has what looks like white tissue half her left eye. She looked perfectly normal last night, what could have caused this?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Patitas, she's 15 years old and has been taking thyroid med for about 4 years
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Her name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Patitas?
Customer: No, other than her thyroid she is fine
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I believe that you're describing prolapse of the third eyelid across Patitas's eye. This occurs with primary third eyelid disorders such as a follicular conunctivitis, when there's corneal damage or disorders deeper in the eye that the eyelid is trying to protect, and when the sympathetic nervous innervation to the eye is disrupted (Horner's syndrome). Unless her eye normalizes by the morning, it would be prudent to have it checked by Patitas's vet if only because eyes can "go south" in a hurry. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Could she go blind in that eye

The risk of blindness would be predicated upon the underlying disorder resulting in the third eyelid prolapse. Regretfully, I can't know that from here. Hence, my recommendation to have such an eye attended to at your earliest convenience. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?