Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat has black looking bugs on her skin is matted just came on all the sudden some bald spots she is itching starting

Customer Question
She has black looking...

She has black looking bugs on her skin is matted just came on all the sudden some bald spots she is itching starting using a natural spray a few days ago still have them crawling on her ordered shampoo gonna try give her a bath she's 15yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

She's 15 and it's meanie lol she only likes me

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

She just started pooping on the floor also with is unusual for her

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/6/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 8 months ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hello again,

I'm sorry Meanie is experiencing all these symptoms, for which there are many possibilities.

The black bugs could be flea larvae and the only to get rid of those, is to apply a topical monthly flea treatment carried by your vet. Do not buy flea treatments from supermarkets or pet stores (some pet stores carry Advantage and Frontline, now and that's okay), because those produces have produced serious health side effects which could be fatal! There are also oral or injectable flea treatments your vet may suggest.

She could be losing her fur due to the scratching and skin irritation, but, there is a condition called feline psychogenic alopcia, which causes a cat to overgroom or lick excessively in certain area. She a Also could have allergies causing the itching, or mites, but due to the presence of the little black bugs, I would say this is the reason.

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/psychogenic-alopecia-in-cats/

-----------------------

I think the reason she's pooping outside the litterbox is because she's so stressed by the itching and these bugs.

Her fur could be matted due to the licking and scratching due to the bugs, also, but there is a medical condition which mainly affects older cats, called hyperthyroidism. The thyroid is putting out too much hormone and affecting her organs and this can cause an unkempt fur, as well, but again, I think it's from the bugs. Here is information about this condition:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/brochure_hyperthyroid.cfm

------------

The best thing to do is have Meanie seen by a vet, as soon as possible, to get a definite diagnosis and treatment, so she's no longer bothered by these bugs.

I hope all will be well!

I hope you feel that I have given you Great Service. If so, a 5 star rating would be very appreciated. Your rating should be based solely on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated for their assistance, until a positive rating is given.

If you have any other, related questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to follow up with you at no additional charge, even after you have rated.

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Hello again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your Meany. My primary goal is always to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?

Please reply as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Cher

Hi again,

I was hoping to hear back from you. How is Meanie feeling now, and did you take her to the vet to determine definitely, what kind of bugs are on her?

Please let me know, as I am concerned for her and would like to know if you found my suggestions helpful. Thank you!

Warmest regards,

Cher

Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist