Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Cat has been licking his penis area frequently that last couple of days, he is now leaking urine when he walks, or just

Customer Question
He has been licking...

He has been licking his penis area frequently that last couple of days, he is now leaking urine when he walks, or just laying around. this morning he didn't run for his "treat" wet food that he gets each morning. What do you think?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Hank and he is about 15 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hank?

He is a short haired Persian cat. He does have some breathing issues due to a small nose. His regular vet said it is typical.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/6/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now we do need to be careful with Hank. Since he can pass urine, this isn't an emergency situation but to see him licking excessively with urine leakage raises concerns of a bladder infection or urinary crystals irritating the tissues. Therefore, we will want him seen by his vet as soon as possible.

To give him some relief at the moment, you can try to increase his urine dilution via increasing his fluid intake. This can be achieved by tempting him to drink (ie water but also cat milk or low salt broth) or you can offer wet food (as this is 35% water) to sneak some water into his system. As well, aloe vera berry juice (available at health food stores) can be helpful in changing the urine pH and making the bladder more comfortable.

Once his vet is open, we'd want to have them test a urine sample for both concerns. The vet will be able to analyze the sample, determine if there are bacteria and white blood cells present (signs of infection), and rule out other issues like crystals or glucose (a marker of diabetes). If infection is found, the vet will also be able to prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic and pain relief to make him comfortable and clear this for him. Of course, I'd just note if he stops being able to pass urine at all, that again would be an emergency and we'd need Hank seen right away.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian