Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 7 year old Siamese mix has always had a very sensitive

Customer Question

My 7 year old Siamese mix has always had a very sensitive area at the base of his tail where he would bite at himself or anything near him when this area is scratched or brushed. Quite recently however, my Liam yelps with pain when the base of his tail is touched and there is some swelling around 1 1/2" the base of his tail. There is no redness or open areas in his hind region. I do not know of any trauma he has suffered. Liam is an indoor cat. What could be going on with him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the siamese's name?
Customer: Liam
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Liam?
Customer: He is over weight. Has a history of allergies and wounds when he was rescued and was on steroids for a while - possibly the precursor to his weight gain. Liam is less cheerful and enchanting since theses symptoms started, making is pretty clear h is in discomfort. There are no reddened areas on his body and no signs of an allergy flare-up. His appetite is still good. He is still drinking good amounts of water.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. There's little question that Liam has been hyperesthetic. Please see here for a good synopsis of this syndrome: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/HyperesthesiaSyndrome.cfm?gclid=CjwKEAjwsYW6BRCTzvu5y8DPhi0SJABnGLlHvpLl_sZF6DG9I70lLI7WTVkxH017DayAYXp-yAXtJxoCIM_w_wcB

My question at this time is what does the painful swelling around 1 1/2" of the base of his tail indicate? Has he been biting at that area and inflaming it? I would expect to find changes to the skin if that were the case. Is there cystic or tumorous growth occurring there? It can be quite a challenge clarifying the underlying disorder responsible for hyperesthesia. This painful area may either complicate or clarify the etiology and so it should be examined hands-on by Liam's vet who may elect to needle aspirate that area to better understand what's happening under the skin.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There is no redness or scabbed areas at the base of his tail. Liam is walking a little slower and with a wider gait giving the impression he is in discomfort of some sort. He actually cannot lick or bite at that part of his body due to being overweight. He has no sign of fleas either. Perhaps Liam sprained himself somehow jumping? The swelling is still evident this morning, but somewhat lessened and his response to my palpating the area is less dramatic. I'll see how he is doing later and if needed, schedule a Vet appointment. Thanks.

Thank you for the good update. A prescription nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as meloxicam or robenacoxib might be of value at this time. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?