Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is 17 years old. I think his kidneys are failing as…

Customer Question
My cat is 17...

My cat is 17 years old. I think his kidneys are failing as for a couple years he has been drinking a ton of water and urinates an awful lot. As of the last 6 months or so, he eats a ton of food. He still seems to be eating and drinking and using the bathroom, but he has also started going the bathroom all over the house. As of today, he won't lift his head. He just keeps looking down even as he walks. I'm not sure what to do. I don't want him suffering.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?

No, he's just quite old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Bubba

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bubba?

A few years ago, we were prescribed medication for him. It was a cream that we rubbed on his ears twice a day. I can't remember exactly what it was for, but I know it had something to do with his metabolism and why he was eating so much.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/6/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bubba. You're correct to suspect kidney failure and his polyphagia (increased hunger) over the past 6 months also indicated either hyperthyroidism and/or diabetes mellitus. That cream was methimazole which was absorbed through his skin to treat hyperthyroidism. It needed to be given life-long. Bubba is currently in trouble and needs the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience. It's likely that he can be treated at this time but he'll need to be hospitalized under critical care. Regretfully, euthanasia may be a kindness. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian