Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I think she has an infection going on..She has bad teeth so…

Customer Question
I think she has...

I think she has an infection going on..She has bad teeth so It might be the cause...She is very lethargic and not herself.. i couldnt get into the vet or get any medicine for her so as last resort I gave her ciprofloxacn that was prescribed for me..They was 500mg and so I gave her 1/8 of a pill.. She is about 9 or 10lbs.. My question is how many times per day should i give it and for how long??Thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?

Calee

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Calee?

She has been coughing as well. its a wet cough. She is eating and drinkimg pretty normal. and urinating normally?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/6/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Because of ciprofloxacin's relatively low oral bioavailability in cats it's best reserved for use when an intravenous fluoroquinolone antibiotic is indicated. Some recommend giving it at a dose of 10 mg per pound of body weight orally daily which would be equivalent to 1/5 of a 500 mg pill daily for Calee. Because we don't know what we're treating the duration of therapy is unclear. A wet cough can indicate infection, asthma, or neoplasia. If I didn't see a positive change after 5 days of therapy, I would discontinue administration of that antibiotic. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your help.. I was just worried about her and concerned about her well being. I apoligize for being inpatient... I appreciate your advice...

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?