Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat is drooling and this has never happened before,

Customer Question

Hi my cat is drooling and this has never happened before
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Kalvyn.. 15 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kalvyn?
Customer: Nothing really.. he has been mostly healthy
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Are you noticing any blood in the drool? Will Kalvyn let you look in his mouth?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No blood. I can try to open his mouth.

Okay a common cause for drooling in cats is dental disease. You should either note an odor or see significant tartar on the teeth if he allows you to look at his mouth

Other issues to worry about is any type of mass in the mouth or if he has swallowed something irritating to his mouth

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I opened his mouth and didn't see anything. He did not like me messing around with his mouth but didn't seem to be in pain.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I didn't see anything in his mouth.

Okay did the drooling just start today? It is possible that he may have eating something that may have irritated him. If that is the case then the drooling should stop after a few hours. If that is not the case then some cats have to be sedated to get a good look in their mouth just to make sure nothing is way back there.