Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Is it okay to give my cat Benadryl, yes. he's been licking…

Customer Question
Hello is it okay...

Hello is it okay to give my cat Benadryl

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

Yes. he's been licking is fur off an I've been to the vet twice and they say it's allergy and today it's doing the same

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Rusty and he's 7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rusty?

Not that I know of, he has all his shots and he has his annual check ups

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/6/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. IF YOU GET REQUEST FOR A PHONE CALL, IT IS FROM THE WEBSITE AND NOT MYSELF. JUST IGNORE IT. Yes, Benadryl is usually safe to give to cats, unless there are certain heart, lung, eye or prostate problems. The concerns are getting them to take it and if it will work. In general, antihistamines do a poor job of controlling skin allergies in cats. A round of prednisolone (a steroid) is usually necessary. I will usually give cats 12.5 mg per 10-15 lbs of body weight every 12 hours. That may be 1 teaspoon of the Children's liquid (many cats do not like the taste) of 1/2 of an adult tablet. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Rusty is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian