Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat just woofed down a bunch of lucky bamboo when I

Customer Question

My cat just woofed down a bunch of lucky bamboo when I turned my back. The plant is normally behind a closed door and he cannot get to it. I actually only just found out they are not Ok around cats.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Murphy, 4
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Murphy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Murphy?
Customer: He is already light and does not eat alot, and cries a lot after he eats but he only just ate it 10 min ago he also throws up furballs im good thanks
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

You're correct that this plant is toxic to cats. Please see here: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/dracaena

Murphy needs to be decontaminated by a vet at your earliest convenience. That's done by inducing emesis with an injection - not oral hydrogen peroxide in cats - and then activated charcoal is tubed into her stomach in order to adsorb any saponins that hadn't been absorbed into her system and that which was excreted by her liver back into her GI tract. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.