Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Female 6 year old has lost a pound. All blood tests came…

Customer Question
Female 6 year old...

Female 6 year old has lost a pound. All blood tests came back fine. Vet said cleaning teeth might help. Last night out of blue she started squatting around house (not cat box) and discharging clear thick oderless fluid. saw small rice grain chunck in one so I bagged it. another penny sized drop was in plastic bin so I q-tipped and bagged that. Both samples are in fridge. Vet is closed right now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Pepper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

She is happy, cuddley, even plays a little with her sister. she will only eat about 1/2 a teaspoon of wet food at a siting and we have to keep putting it in front of her. Untill the weight loss, she olny ate dry food from the vet. Was 9.5 pounds. Now 8.5.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/5/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Did she appear to be trying to pass urine or stool?

Have her stools been loose or hard? When did she last go?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Her belly is not tender. We have two cats so I don't know what her stool is like. She was neutered when she was a kitten. I don't know when she last used the box. We've only been awake an hour and she hasn't used the box in that time.
She is currently loving having her whole tummy rubbed.

Hello again,

That is fine, the reason I asked is because the mucus and rice grain both sound GI in origin. The mucus can be seen with gut inflammation but also constipation if she was straining down to go. So, we can take some steps to make sure she hasn't any issue passing stool. Though I'd also note that the rice grain like material is most likely a tapeworm segment and while they usually only cause mild signs in adult cats if there are a lot in the gut they can cause weight loss. So, while I do think her mouth may be the primary issue (especially if Pepper used to love dry now doesn't eat it and is barely taking canned food), treating her for tapeworms would be a base to cover as well.

Furthermore, to address any constipation here, further to worming there are a few steps we can try. First, you can start by offering some milk. We do find that cow's milk can be helpful at getting things moving along if she has mild constipation. As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used to get things moving. This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively if we were to see her straining to go, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or mineral oil orally. If she is eating, these can be mixed into her food. And if she cannot take much, consider feeding kitten canned food as it has more nutrients per bite. Or Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or a liquid diet like Catsure or Clinicare (which may be easier for her to take) could also be used as each is a critical care diets that is calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise. That way we can counter weight loss until her vet can address her teeth/mouth. Also do encourage her to drink as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure that she has fresh water and you can even offer low salt chicken broth if she isn't drinking well.

Overall, what you found today just sounds GI based and I do think we may need to worm her for tapeworms as that won't be helping her keep weight on. But otherwise, I do agree with her vet that with her appetite change we need them looking into the mouth/teeth here to see if we can get her back to normal for you.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

She is an indoor cat. She got out once a few years back but that's it. Could tape worm eggs have been brought in on the clothing of a friend with cats? We have a friend who fosters kittens for a shelter.

Hello again,

Yes, tapeworms can be carried in by us. So, if you have been in contact with another cat (or even were to pick up eggs on your clothes/shoes when out) then we could see spread here. And it is something you can treat with OTC tapeworm wormers, so it is a good base to cover with what you are seeing and also when we have kitty weight loss.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Good info. I'll take the rice grain sized thing to the vet and let my friend know. We have a call into the vet now. I hope it is just worms. Thanks!

You are very welcome, my dear.

That sounds like a good plan. Though as I noted I suspect worms will be stealing some weight, but with the appetite changes Pepper's mouth does sound suspect so we'd want her vet looking into that and addressing her teeth if need be too.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.