Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My male cat had a slightly swollen paw this morning and now

Customer Question

My male cat had a slightly swollen paw this morning and now in the evening the whole foot has swelled up. He is limping slightly and won't let me touch it. He tries to bite my hand if I touch the paw. What can I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: Not that I know of
JA: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. It might be a fracture. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is almost 2.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mishca?
Customer: No, all normal
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Any history of a trauma or fall?

Has he been outside?

Any chance of a cat fight/bite?

Any visible wounds or blood?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No fall or trauma.
Yes he goes outside.
The paw is bleeding on the top
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Oh dear,

Now to see a sore, swollen paw in a cat Mischa's age, we'd be most worried about a cat bite abscess, foreign body (ie grass see, foxtail) or insect sting. Snake bites are also possible but hopefully less likely here (as they tend to need urgent care).

With this all in mind, since we have a bleeding wound from this, we can start some topical care. To do so, you can start by flushing this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream to help keep infection away. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put an ecollar on your wee one to protect this. If there is any suspicion of a sting (though usually those won't bleed), we could try an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce allergic irritation. Alternatively, we can use Cetirizine (just 5mg for a cat) once daily. For either, we like to keep the dose low, to avoid drowsiness though a bit may help you handle this easier. Of course, double check with your vet first if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication you didn't mention. And if this persists, you see pus, or he is very sore; then we'd want his local vet involved so we can get him onto kitty safe pain relief (ie Metacam) and antibiotics to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**