Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have an abundance of knowledge about cats, but sometimes a

Customer Question
Hello...I have an abundance of...
Hello...I have an abundance of knowledge about cats, but sometimes a situation requires answers I don't have. A week ago I rescued 2 baby kittens of a litter of 5. The mother cat is friendly now (after working with her for the past couple of months), but I cannot take her in as the other kittens depend on her for milk. The kittens are about 6 weeks old.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the kitten?
Customer: When I first examined them, I checked for ticks, fleas, etc. The Revolution I have is for cats weighing 5 lbs or more, so couldn't treat them. I did worm them with Strongid.
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: My question is:. Tonight I noticed that the blue cream kitten, Violet, had a small crusty area on her throat. I pulled at it and noticed a tiny hole. I am praying I didn't do the wrong thing by cleaning it with Qtips and a little peroxide. Then I put a little Neosporin on it. The kitten is playful, eats well and behaves like a healthy, happy kitten. What can you tell me?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?
Customer: Only that the wound on her neck/throat area is very tiny, not like the photos of the larvae holes.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/5/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Thank you for helping this cat family.

At 6 weeks, the kittens can be parted from the mother for a while. Have you started them on solid food yet? I usually start around 5 weeks, to take some of the work off of the mother.

This small hole could be a puncture, and may heal with topical antibiotics. However, it could be a larva that you just caught really early. Can you post a picture of it here?

Your treatment with peroxide and cleaning and Neosporin sounds fine. Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

I have not heard back from you; how is Violet doing?

Please let me know if my answer was helpful and if I can answer any other questions you may have.

Much of your answer related to common knowledge about kittens that I have known for 50+ years, not to my question. I know how to raise orphan kittens from birth...and have done this on many occasions. The small hole on Violet's neck appears healed, perhaps from the cleaning, the peroxide and the antibiotic ointment. I do plan to take both kittens to my veterinarian for their first exam tomorrow. Both are playful, affectionate and have healthy appearances. I am hoping to capture the 3 others from the litter.

Good the lesion healed, it is not a larva hole if it did.

What was your question I did not address? I thought it was about the hole, and if you had treated appropriately (which you did). Sorry if I misunderstood what you were asking. Please let me know what else I can answer.

Thanks for the update; glad all are doing well.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian