Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She is favoring her right hind leg and she seems to be in…

Customer Question
She is favoring her...

She is favoring her right hind leg and she seems to be in pain (the leg is twitching) some. She is in my bed, and she doesn't want to move (she growled at me when I got in the bed and she had to get up and move over). Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the pads of her paw.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Moho. She is 12. And weighs about 16 pounds (overweight). She has been in very good health her whole life so far.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Moho?

When she was a kitten, we were told she had congenital hip dysplasia

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/5/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Moho, please?

Does Moho associate with other cats who could have fought with her? Is there a history of recent injury/trauma? Has she suffered from intermittent lameness over the years which might be attributed to her hip dysplasia?

We have another cat. They often chase each other. I didn't hear anything last night, but I assume that's a likely cause. I have isolated Moho. In a room by herself and she is hiding in her favorite cubby hole. She let me pick her up and carry her down the stairs (didn't his or growl). She ate a little wet food. She puts a little weight on the leg, but limps heavily.

Thank you for the additional information. Aspirin can be safely given at a dose of just 5 mg per pound of body weight every 72 hours. You must avoid the toxic acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil), and naproxen (Aleve). Moho's vet has more potent nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (meloxicam, robenacoxib) if need be. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you. I plan to take her to the vet on Monday. I appreciate the information about the aspirin. I didn't know there was anything I could give her.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.