Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat has a giant mat on her cheat that I was trying to get off, and I accidentally knicked her, I accidentally cut her

Customer Question
She has a giant...

She has a giant mat on her cheat that I was trying to get off, and I accidentally knicked her

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

I accidentally cut her skin while trying to remove a big mat

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the cat bleeding a lot?

No, but enough to leave a tiny spot when I dabbed it with a paper towel

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the cat's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** not sure of the age, found her alone in the woods declawed and super skinny almost a year ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/4/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 15years and I'd like to help with your question.

If it is a small nick (less than a quarter of an inch) and it is not bleeding you can use some liquid bandaid on it. You might have to run to the store to get it. First, just clean the area. Just with water is fine, but if you have some iodine or betadine you can add a little to the water to clean it. Pat it dry, try to get the edges of the skin close together and apply the liquid bandaid. Try to hold her still until it dries. If it won't hold then you might have to take her to a veterinarian and they will do the same, but with surgical glue which will stick better.

If it works then just watch it for redness or swelling that might indicate infection.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions, please let me know. If all your questions are answered please rate this service.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Stacy