Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

23 year old cat has stopped eating was eating until about a…

Customer Question
23 year old cat...

23 year old cat has stopped eating was eating until about a 3 weeks ago then was eating less and less seemed to be having a hard time chewing so got wet food he would just lick off the gravy now when I bring him anything he smells it and gags losing weight but other than that seems fine walking around doesn't seem to be in pain ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. It might be a fracture. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Tiger

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/4/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 6 months ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 6 months ago

Has he shown any signs of vomiting or diarrhea?

no
NO VOMITING OR DIARRHEA
Are we still connected or are you busy or are you still considering an answer ?
Waiting for response
Thanks
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 6 months ago

Hi, apologies for the delay in response, I have been offline for a few days. How is Tiger doing just now?

Seems to be losing weight tired not eating was eating miniual liguids tried cat
milk ate some now won't and can't get him to even eat the gravy from cat food
One minute he is walking around a little slow at times but he is sleeping most of the time
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 6 months ago

Does he have any signs of dental disease?

Not sure a few weeks backk I thought his thrrth might be having a problem by the way he was chewing so switched to soft food but still wouldn't eat? I did feel around his throat and three are two of three lumps didn't know if that was something to do with it
Teeh
Teeth
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 6 months ago

There are several issues that can creep up on elderly cats. Dental disease is by far the most common. Tooth decay and gingivitis can cause significant pain and infection from the mouth can lead to abscesses. This can severely affect their appetite and these cats often appear hungry but eating causes pain.

Older cats are also more prone to an overactive thyroid and kidney disease. Cats with thyroid problems often lose weight but generally have a good appetite. however cats with kidney disease can feel very unwell which can put the off their food and be associated with significant weight loss.

It would be wise to have Tiger checked over by your vet who will be able to check his teeth for dental disease and may recommend blood work to check for any signs of thyroid issues or kidney disease. In the mean time the best thing you can do is keep his food soft for him to manage to eat, smellier foods such as fish are often more appetizing so tempting him with these may be a good idea to try and encourage him to eat.

ok thanks
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 6 months ago

You are very welcome. Hopefully Tiger is feeling much better very soon!

I hope you have found this advice useful and please don`t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.
If you are happy with the advice offered please don`t forget to rate me as this is the only way the website has of providing me with feedback.
If you don`t click the stars, the website does not acknowledge me for the time I spend helping here!
Thankyou so much,

Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling