Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat is losing hair. His real owner had to get rid of him…

Customer Question
My cat is losing...

My cat is losing hair. His real owner had to get rid of him and then was given to a friend who had 2 big dogs who chased him and was tormented so the owner had to find another home who is my grand daughter. Asked me if I could take him here he is ..He was trying to was trying get very top of my dryer which had no flat area and fell behind which way out He was back there for 30 min when we got him. he wouldn't come out for a long time just at nite to eat. losing hair badly now

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

Snickers

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

He has started coming out me now .I have a small dog which as of today is staying out

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/4/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. IF YOU GET REQUEST FOR A PHONE CALL, IT IS FROM THE WEBSITE AND NOT MYSELF. JUST IGNORE IT. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Where exactly is he losing hair?

Is he scratching or chewing on his skin often?

How much time does he spend outside?

He is an indoor cat. He does a little scratching but to be just falling out.
can't call. can't afford at this time

Thanks for the information. Sorry about the wait. I had a few other questions to respond to. Give me a few minutes to review and get back to you.

Where exactly on his body is the hair loss?

All over his body

Thanks for the information. There are a few things that could be causing this. If there is frequent itching or chewing, then the first concerns would be a skin parasite or an allergy. The first thing I want to do with cats is make sure they are on a good flea preventative from the vet every month, even if you do not see fleas or they are indoor only. In areas where fleas are present, they easily get indoors, and it can be very difficult to find them on cats because they groom so frequently. If there are issues around the base of the base or back of the thighs, fleas are the problem 99% of the time. I would also be concerned about an allergy to something in the environment or food. Environmental allergies MAY respond to Benadryl (children's dose every 12-24 hours in medium to large cats and 1/2 that dose in smaller cats), but they often need something stronger, like a steroid. Benadryl may cause hyperexcitability in some cats and can difficult to give at times. I usually don't every try it. 2 mg of chlorpheniramine (Chlortrimeton) every 8-12 hours may help better. I usually just prescribe a short course of steroids, though, because they are far more effective. With food allergies, your vet may need to do a dietary food trial for 12 weeks, but that is not as common. Skin mites would be less likely if he doesn't go outside at all, but ringworm is still possible because cats can carry this for years without showing symptoms. It typically isn't itchy, though. If the hairloss is mainly on the belly and inner thighs, and there are no skin lesions, then it usually is a stress induced thing. It would be a very good idea to have your vet check him out. Trying to determine the cause of a skin problem and dealing with it at home usually just ends in frustration. It can even be difficult for the vet with certain cases. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian