Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has had all the symptoms of having fleas under normal…

Customer Question
My cat has had...

My cat has had all the symptoms of having fleas under normal circumstances, scratching, pulling at coat etc., which I treated, but with no avail. This condition has been going on for many months. Although I tried to treat him, I took him to a vet clinic and they concluded he has a food allergy. I have changed foods, and given medication prescribed but he still has this awful itch, suffering with it by scratching spots sensitive that makes him cry out, and I can feel bumps at and around his neck line. He has lost weight and wants me to hold him a lot now for comfort. I must take him to a veterinarian, I am worried that his condition is still worsening and I could lose him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

The noise tells me he is suffering and I don't want this. I have skin baum and a spray that I can use. He goes to different parts of the house and stays, I guess he is trying to get away from the awful things that are causing the problem. When I hold him he seems not to have nearly as much discomfort. I need a caring vet or information on what to do. Thank you.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/4/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

I am so sorry your cat is going through this! This sounds like a classic case of eosinophilic granuloma complex. They have itchy bumps/scabs on their body, often around the neck, and they pull out fur and they are miserable. It is an immune condition, they don't really know what causes it. But it is common, and the only treatment is a steroid injection from your vet (depomedrol). If it is not completely resolved two weeks later, you give a second injection. It resolves in every case I have ever seen. Then they have flare ups periodically and need to go back in for another injection. I would try to get in to see your vet today for a depomedrol injection for suspected eosinophilic granuloma complex. Good luck! I have a feeling your kitty is about to get some long-overdue relief.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.

Are you there?

I am wrapping up for the morning here, but I need to make sure that you do not have any other questions for me before I sign off. To help signal to me whether or not we are done, please either rate my service (preferable), or say "thank you" to indicate that you are happy with my service and we are done talking for now, or please ask me more follow up questions. Thanks!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian