Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My beautiful queen seal point Siamese has five lovely 11 day

Customer Question
old babies. Four normal sized...
My beautiful queen seal point Siamese has five lovely 11 day old babies. Four normal sized and one midget (runt). She was born small and has stayed half the others' size. Her belly is full, she seems to nurse fine, and she is as active as the others. She's just SO SMALL. I took her to the vet two days ago and they said there is nothing apparently wrong, breathing, heart, no cleft, etc. They gave her a 50 50 chance. I'm in love with her. How can I help?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the siamese's name?
Customer: mama is Alice baby is Sammy Sue
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the siamese?
Customer: Mom is a typical neurotic Siamese. I am having a hard time taking the other babies out so Sammy can have alone nursing time. Mom gets too upset maybe take two out and leave two with her?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/4/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 3 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Are you giving any supplemental feedings to Sammy Sue yet?

Did your vet feel she was at all underfed?

Is this part of the same question? I hope so! Her belly is full, shes well hydrated, moving around like the others

Can you clarify your question? If you're asking if my question is associated with your question, it is.

Did your vet feel she was at all underfed in comparison to her littermates?

No, her tummy was full. I just bought a kitten supplement and am going to try to give her some

I would recommend going a different route than commercial milk for her and opting for a supplement that is more nutritionally dense. In your position, I would use a homemade kitten glop recipe such as these: http://www.hdw-inc.com/glop.htm Once she is a bit older, you may be able to have diagnostics performed on her such as bloodwork or a visit to a specialist to determine if her size may be due to a congenital disorder such as a liver or heart abnormality. At this age, she's likely too small to determine much and may need to grow/develop further for more obvious symptoms to be witnessed. It certainly will not harm her to receive supplemental feedings and you can also use the kitten glop in a few weeks when the kittens are ready to start being weaned on to canned cat food mixed with kitten milk.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion today?

She passed away

I am so sorry to hear of her passing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse