Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Sneezing ..house cat with outside pen, male caf named

Customer Question
sneezing ..house cat with...

sneezing ..house cat with outside pen

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Male caf named "Deacon" ..5years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Deacon?

5years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Deacon?

He is very large..about 22 pounds

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/4/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your house cat Dean who has been sneezing! I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of potential causes for Deacon's sneezing, and we have to consider everything from a nasal foreign body, to cat flu or an upper respiratory tract infection. As Deacon does get some outdoor access (albeit restricted) - there is a possibility this could be caused by a foreign body in his throat. Cats commonly get grass blades stuck at the back of their throats and these can cause very similar symptoms to what you are seeing today with this sneezing fit. If this was the case, your Vet would need to give your boy an anesthetic in order to remove it! Sometimes even just an inflamed larynx (aka laryngitits) can cause these types of symptoms as well - so we do have to keep this in the back of our minds as well. It is unlikely this sneezing is due to the stuffed toy fluff he may have ingested, although it is possible this could have gone up over his soft palate.

Hopefully Deacon is up to date with his vaccinations, but even if he is, we still have to consider an upper respiratory tract infection or recrudesence of Herpes virus he may have had when he was a kitten. If this sneezing continues in to tomorrow morning, you are best to follow up with your local vet first thing tomorrow morning so they can carry out a full physical exam and work out what might be causing your boy's symptoms. In the meantime, try and keep his environment the same and if you can think of anything that could be causing him stress right now, do what you can to reduce that stress. Continue to feed him as normal. If he begins to go off his food, it is likely because he can't smell it properly. In this case - slightly warming wet food can help here. As above, make sure you follow up with your vet tomorrow if the sneezing is continuous as further treatment such as antibiotics (for a secondary bacterial infection) and anti inflammatories may be needed. Here they can decide whether further diagnostics (such as a check to rule out a grass blade foreign body) are necessary.

As he is sneezing a lot right now, I would also recommend that you keep an eye your boy's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your boy doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting or open mouth breathing at all tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.