Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

About two weeks ago my indoor/outdoor cat came home with a…

Customer Question
Hi! About two weeks...

Hi! About two weeks ago my indoor/outdoor cat came home with a slight limp. There was no blood, no owie's, no swelling. I figured he most likely jumped wrong and just sprained something. I palpated his whole leg and paw and nothing bothered him at all. He has now resorted to being a 3 legged cat! He still wants out, jumps up on stuff, eats great, and never whines. He just now won't put that stinkin leg down! Still no swelling, no obvious signs of any trauma at all! He has an appointment but I'm just trying to figure out how we went from a simple limp to this?!?? And if he did break it initially instead of just a sprain, how is that treated at this point?!? ):

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?

Not that I know of! He literally went from just sort of walking funny to not using that leg

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Friday...and he is 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Friday (:

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

It's his front right leg. He uses his leg to pull his food bowl closer, to paw at food, to wash himself. He just won't walk on it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/4/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share video of Friday walking?

Are you seeing pain at all?

Has the usage of the limb changed at all, for better or worse, in the last 2 weeks?

Any history of illness or injury?

Does the paw pad feel the same temp as the others? If not, warmer or cooler?

He expresses no pain when jumping down from things, etc. When he initially presented with a bit of a limp there was no pain when I rub up and down his whole leg looking for any sign of an issue. At this point now however he doesn't like it touched on the lower portion of the leg and he won't put it down. But yet he will still use it to paw at things! The pad looks totally normal. No cuts or anything like that, and it is normal in temperature. He has never had an injury or illness before this!

Can you share video of Friday walking? I'd like to see what you're seeing and how he's holding the leg he's avoiding using.

Thank you for the picture. Are you able to share a video? This will be more helpful in knowing what you're seeing and how he's holding the limb. This may indicate why he's exhibiting these signs.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian