Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a question on cat's dental care. I read both side of…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a question on cat's dental care.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

I read both side of articles that dry food helps with taking plaque off of a cat or it is only a myth.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

My cats names are***** and Gigi. Gigi had one teeth extracted 1-2 years ago. Scout got 2 teeth extracted in March.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

They are from the same litter.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

My vet told us that Scout (and other 2 as well) is more prone to have tooth problem. And it is best to brush his teeth. However, our previous vet told us that feed my cats feline t/d if I do not want to ruin the good relationship with cats. I am confused.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What confuses you?

I have read that it is a myth that feeding cats dry food would take plaque off of their teeth. But I also read that feeding dry food is helpful. So I am confused here as well.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Scout is also diagnosed as stage 2 renal disease in March. He was 4 and 9 mon then. He is also on diet to lose weight with certain amount of water he has to drink a day. So I mostly feed him wet food w/water or w/juice from boiling skinless chicken breast. I give him about 1/8 cup of dry food a day for interactive feeding.
8/4/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand your confusion about feeding recommendations for cats, as there are trade-offs for feeding different types of food.

Ideally cats, which are true carnivores, should eat canned food to avoid the carbohydrates found in kibble, and increase the water content in their diet. Feeding canned food is especially important in cats with kidney compromise as cats are notoriously poor water drinkers. By feeding canned food we increase fluid intake tremendously. Adding water or broth is an excellent way to get additional fluids into Scout.

But an all canned food diet can lead to food accumulating on the teeth and increased tartar and plaque formation.

If it is started when the cat is a kitten then brushing their teeth daily is an excellent way to remove plaque before tartar and subsequent gum disease occur.

But many cats object to having their teeth brushed if they weren't introduced to it as young kittens.

If brushing turns into a huge battle then a few pieces of "dental" kibble like Hills T/d after meals is a very good compromise, and an acceptable alternative. The good news is that t/d is fine to feed to cats with kidney disease.

Normal, small kibble found in most dry food diets that is easily crushed and doesn't have the fibrous matrix to "scrub" the teeth and isn't very effective at keeping their teeth clean, and preventing plaque and tartar from forming.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 12 months ago

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitties. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****