Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat recently started pooping outside of her litter box…

Customer Question
My cat recently started...

My cat recently started pooping outside of her litter box and recently I noticed that it's green and has kind of a mucusy look

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she's 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pishi?

Not really, she's always been relatively healthy

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/4/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand that Pishi has been defecating outside the litter box and it is appearing green with mucus. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. Is this the first time any of these things have occurred? Any vomiting or hair balls in Pishi's past?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, she's never really had any issues with that. My other cat is more prone to vomit and get hairballs

Thank you for that information. Mucus in the feces indicates there is inflammation in the colon. Cats will typically break normal litter box habits when there is discomfort somewhere in the body, so putting these two things together would indicate that there is inflammation in the colon, which is resulting in this change. However, if there is an issue with litter box avoidance such as stress with using the litter box then that falls under the category of anxiety. Anxiety can occur if there are too few litter boxes, if the litter boxes are in a high traffic area, or there was an altercation between the cats while Pishi was using the litter box, which then creates a negative association with using the litter box. This would not cause green or mucus in the feces, which leads me to assume there is inflammation that is causing this instead.

The cause for the inflammation becomes the next step and this can be from parasites, sudden changes in food, intolerance to certain ingredients, or a food allergy. Other disorders such as inflammatory bowel disease or inflammation can also possibly cause these signs. A fecal exam would be a recommendation to start ruling out some possibilities. Regarding treatment, your veterinarian will have access to a medication called, "Metronidazole" which is helpful as an anti-inflammatory on the intestines.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your help!

Some helpful over-the-counter treatments for this would be probiotics or adding fiber to the diet.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you!