Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

One of cat appears to have bit the other in the face while…

Customer Question
One of cat appears...

One of cat appears to have bit the other in the face while playing or scratched really good. Can I use rubbing Alcohol on the little wounds? I used saline and a warm compress but it doesn't look like it is really healing it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the cat bleeding a lot?

Not bleeding at al accept for a little surface blood.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Candy 8 Years

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Candy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

Um the area is starting to look pink and I don't want it getting infected.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/3/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Candy.

I wouldn't advise the use of alcohol since it can burn or sting. Over the counter dilute Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea) will be a better choice.

Then, after it drys, I'd apply a small amount of antibiotic ointment but just a small amount so that it has time to become absorbed before she can remove it through grooming.

Most cats will heal within just a few days with topical treatment alone after injuries of this sort; hopefully, she's "most" cats.

I hope this helps, Deb