Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

I have a 15-year-old cat who seems to wheezing at times.

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 15-year-old cat who seems to wheezing at times. Some times she is perfectly fine. She isn't acting any differently e.g., she's eating, sleeping, being affectionate, and going to the bathroom.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Samantha. She's not lethargic though. Aside from the wheezing she is like her old self.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Samantha?
Customer: She has hyperthyroidism which she is being treated for.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hello, again.

My apologies for the delayed response. Various Experts are online at different times and I recently logged in and was notified of your question. Your patience is greatly appreciated!

I have some questions for you, that will help me best assess Samantha's situation:

I'm sorry to hear that Samantha is wheezing at times.

When did this first begin?

Is she coughing at all?

Does she spend any time outside?

Is she being treated with methimazole for her hyperthyroidism? What is her dosage? How long has she been hyperthyroid?

Did the wheezing begin after she started the methimazole?

Thank you for all your additional information and when you reply, please allow me some time to compose and send your detailed answer.

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hello, again.

I was hoping for some additional information from you, but I know you must be busy, so I'll send your answer, now.

Samantha could be wheezing due to asthma, bronchitis or another respiratory condition.

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/health_information/felineasthmawhatyouneedtoknow.cfm

----------

Wheezing may also be due to allergies. If you use scented candles, spray, plug in or solid air fresheners, or if there's a smoker in the house, these and other items may be causing an allergic reaction in Samantha. In addition, there are other medications that should not be given at the same time as methimazole. Please see the following:

https://www.1800petmeds.com/Methimazole-prod10491.html

----------------

It would be best to have Samantha evaluated in person by a vet, as soon as possible, so you can get a definite diagnosis and treatment, if needed.

I hope all will be well with Samantha! I'll check back with you in a few days, to see how she's doing.

I hope you feel that I have given you Great Service. If so, a 5 star rating would be very appreciated. Your rating should be based solely on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated for their assistance, until a positive rating is given.

If you have any other, related questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to follow up with you at no additional charge, even after you have rated.

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and Samantha. My primary goal is always to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?

Please reply as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Cher