Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is throwing yellow discharge and sneezing. He is

Customer Question

my cat is throwing yellow discharge and sneezing. He is lying on his back and his breathing is off.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is approx 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Liam?
Customer: he has had seizures in the past and is slightly over weight
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. How long has Liam been symptomatic in this manner? Has he suffered from respiratory symptoms in the past?

In most cases, sneezing and/or ocular discharge represent infection with the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) in cats which usually goes into remission unaided within 1-3 weeks. The bacteria Chlamydophila and Mycoplasma can be found concomitantly with FHV-1 or be sole infectious agents. These, too, are expected to go into remission unaided but if my patient doesn't show a positive change within 7-10 days of the onset of symptoms, I'll consider prescribing doxycycline - the antibiotic of choice for addressing those bacteria. It’s not unreasonable to also initiate therapy with the over the counter Terramycin ophthalmic ointment should conjunctivitis arise dosed at thrice daily to each eye for a minimum of 10 days. This ointment contains the antibiotics oxytetracycline and polymyxin-B and can be found in many pet/feed stores or online such as here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9674 It’s ideal for addressing the bacterial infections. FHV-1, however, doesn't respond to antibiotics. Severe FHV-1 infections might be addressed with the systemic antiviral drug famciclovir and an ophthalmic antiviral drop or ointment containing cidofovir. These products need to be compounded by a veterinary formulating pharmacy. Cats who become inappetent will benefit from the administration of supplemental fluids and electrolytes given subcutaneously by needle and perhaps a syringeable and palatable convalescent food.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?