Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 11 year old cat has been diagnosed with lymphoma. i am

Customer Question

my 11 year old cat has been diagnosed with lymphoma. i am shattered. vet doing scan on tuesday to fiscover where it is exactly, she has a lumpbin her tummy. is there sny hope. shed dramatically list wright eithin 20 days.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the cat's name?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** has the colouring of a madera cake, she is the most gentliest, sweetest cat.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: No. i took her to the vets 2 weeks ago because i was concerned, they did a blood test and it came back perfect. he said there were no lumps rhen.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you please text me
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your cat has lymphoma. I can imagine you are shattered.

Good they are doing scans. With lymphoma, you want to "stage" it, meaning to find where it is, in how many places. That helps to decide what the best chemotherapy would be.

It would be best to work with an oncologist if there is one in your area. There are many treatments for lymphoma, and it should be possible to get her into remission. It is important to understands that remission is not a cure, and most cats do come out of remission. It may be only a few months, but it could be a year or more that she is in remission. This is not a cancer that is usually cured, but often these cats can live months or even years with good quality of life.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I can't text you; I can only respond here.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Vet is not doing scan until Tuesday, is this ok,
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

It is best to get it done as soon as possible, but if that is the soonest you can get it should be OK.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would she be in pain.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

As lymphoma progresses there can be nausea, loss of appetite, weight loss, etc.; more quality of life issues than actual pain. If tumors become large, and pinch off internal organs, that would be painful.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I have not heard back from you. How is Cake doing? Was my answer helpful and can I answer anything else?