Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 11 year old cat has been diagnosed with lymphoma. i am…

Customer Question
My 11 year old...

My 11 year old cat has been diagnosed with lymphoma. i am shattered. vet doing scan on tuesday to fiscover where it is exactly, she has a lumpbin her tummy. is there sny hope. shed dramatically list wright eithin 20 days.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the cat's name?

Her name is ***** ***** has the colouring of a madera cake, she is the most gentliest, sweetest cat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

No. i took her to the vets 2 weeks ago because i was concerned, they did a blood test and it came back perfect. he said there were no lumps rhen.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/3/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Ok
Can you please text me

I am sorry to hear your cat has lymphoma. I can imagine you are shattered.

Good they are doing scans. With lymphoma, you want to "stage" it, meaning to find where it is, in how many places. That helps to decide what the best chemotherapy would be.

It would be best to work with an oncologist if there is one in your area. There are many treatments for lymphoma, and it should be possible to get her into remission. It is important to understands that remission is not a cure, and most cats do come out of remission. It may be only a few months, but it could be a year or more that she is in remission. This is not a cancer that is usually cured, but often these cats can live months or even years with good quality of life.

I can't text you; I can only respond here.

Vet is not doing scan until Tuesday, is this ok,

It is best to get it done as soon as possible, but if that is the soonest you can get it should be OK.

Would she be in pain.

As lymphoma progresses there can be nausea, loss of appetite, weight loss, etc.; more quality of life issues than actual pain. If tumors become large, and pinch off internal organs, that would be painful.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

I have not heard back from you. How is Cake doing? Was my answer helpful and can I answer anything else?