Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Not eating, barely drinking, intermittent bile vomiting over…

Customer Question
Not eating, barely drinking...

Not eating, barely drinking, intermittent bile vomiting over the past few days. Now there is a smell of feces in the room he is in but no sign of feces or vomiting in the area. The smell seems to be coming from him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

Not to the best of my knowledge. He has been stressed with extra people in the house for an estate sale and handyman working for the previous 2 weeks.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Jules

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jules?

He's much more lethargic than usual, sleeping a lot but in more private places than he usually does.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/3/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Jules who seems very unwell at the moment. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Jules symptoms sound really severe, and this combination of not eating or drinking over the last few days likely means he is already dehydrated, and potentially developing hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver). Given he has been vomiting as well, I really would encourage you to get him seen by a local ER vet tonight if you can. He will definitely need IV fluids and rehydration support as a bare minimum. There are a range of possible causes for your boy's symptoms, but we need to consider anything from a toxicity, to a blocked bladder (hopefully he has been peeing without issue), to an internal organ problem or infectious issue. Whatever the case, it really sounds like he needs to be seen by a vet immediately.

If you can't get him seen straight away, then for now, please keep an eye your boy's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your boy doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting or open mouth breathing at all tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As above, his symptoms really are quite bad. These symptoms won't just be due to stress, so if you can get him seen now, please do. In the meantime, keep an eye on those parameters, and try to encourage him to drink more water. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hi again,

I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your boy Jules. How is he doing at the moment? Did you get a chance to follow up with your vet as yet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian