Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

She's very timid and the other 3 cats (2 male, 1 female)

Customer Question
She's very timid and...

She's very timid and the other 3 cats (2 male, 1 female) bully her. the vet prescribed fluoxetine but we cannot get her to take it, not even in her food.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Sweetie, 6 y.o.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/2/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 6 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would love to assit you with Sweetie.

I would ask your Vet if he can have the Fluoxetine Compounded into a Transdermal application. The medication would be changed so you can apply it to the inside of the ear flap where there is no hair. This way it is absorbed through the skin instead of having to try and force it orally. The Floxetine can be compounded and would make it less stressfull for you and Sweetie. This is a link about compounding medications.: http://www.bellemeadanimalhospital.com/blog/transdermal-medications-great-option-and-available-if-your-cat-needs-them/

This is one of a few Compounding Pharmacies that can do this for you and there may even be some Pharamcies that can do this local to you: http://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/

Please hit reply to discuss this information and if I have addressed all your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not compensated by the site until I have recieved a positive rating.

Joan

This is another Compounding Pharmacy: http://www.pethealthpharmacy.com/

Joan

Hi Paula,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jav917
Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech