Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Vet said my cat has got an intestional bcteria infection…

Customer Question
Vet said my cat...

Vet said my cat has got an intestional bcteria infection Prescribed biomox and reglan on 21 of july he threw up yesterday and still seems lethargic still have him on meds he is 12 yrs old and has lived his whole life indoors should i take him back to vet in town also have a question about how he contracted this infection this is the first time he has had this

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

Is this infection contagious to humans ? he is urinating about 8 times a day has soft poops 1 a days

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/2/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. IF YOU GET REQUEST FOR A PHONE CALL, IT IS FROM THE WEBSITE AND NOT MYSELF. JUST IGNORE IT. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Did your vet run a fecal exam, blood work or x-rays? If so, what were the results?

What symptoms was he having before he got prescribed these medications?

my vet did fecal exam, blood work. results were a few blood tests were showing some indications of a problem. fecal exam has some blood. lungs and heart are good. should i ask for copy of all test preformed?

Thanks for the information. It would help to know the results of the blood work. Chances are that they were normal if the diagnosis was just a gastrointestinal bacterial infection, but it may help to see. The infection is not usually something they picked up from somewhere, unless they ate something rancid. Even then, their GI tract tend to handle stuff like that better than ours. The infection comes about when the normal bacteria in the GI tract is compromised (it could be something they ate that just caused an upset stomach or some type of metabolic disease, like liver, pancreas or inflammatory bowel disease), which allows overgrowth of more pathogenic bacteria, which already resides in the GI tract. It is called dysbiosis. It is not a contagious issue. If he didn't eat anything abnormal, then the concern is that it is a metabolic issue. A liver problem would have shown up on routine blood work. Inflammatory bowel disease and pancreatic issues (can go hand in hand with a liver problem) don't usually show up on routine blood work. A gastrointestinal blood panel to measure other parameters is usually recommended if a cat is not responding well to medications or is having a recurring issues. With his age, you also have to be concerned about intestinal lymphoma. An ultrasound is often recommended if there is strong suspicion of inflammatory bowel disease or intestinal lymphoma based on those results or clinical symptoms. The problem is that a biopsy is usually necessary to determine which one it is. I would make sure the thyroid value was evaluated withe blood work because hyperthyroidism is a common issue in older cats and can create similar symptoms to all of these. So, it usually is more complicated than just an "intestinal infection". If it has been a couple of days, and there is no response to medication, I would definitely have him evaluated by the vet again. It may be that just changing him to a different medication, like metronidazole, and adding a probiotic needs to be done; but most likely he needs some more testing. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian