Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat is walking o in circles. About 2 weeks ago it happened…

Customer Question
Cat is walking o...

Cat is walking o in circles

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. It might be a fracture. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

About 2 weeks ago it happened brought him to the vet and he gave him a steriod he started feeling better and looked back to normal until yesterday

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Oreo he is 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

June 24th the cats ears and gums were yellow vet gave him vitamin k and steriods

Veterinarian's Assistant: What else should I tell the Veterinarian?

Said it could be an autoimmune

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/2/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Circling can indicate both encephalopathy (brain disorder) involving the forebrain (cerebrum and thalamus) and vestibular (balance) disorders involving the cerebellum or brain stem (a central vestibular disorder) or involving the inner/middle ear(s) (a peripheral vestibular disorder). Oreo's vet will have a challenge localizing Oreo's problem which often requires advanced imaging in the form of CT or MRI. It isn't clear to me how his circling is related to his icterus (jaundice) in June but I would be concerned that because icterus often indicates liver disease, that his liver is now functioning so poorly as to intoxicate his brain (hepatoencephalopathy). Conservative testing in the form of blood and urine tests including serum bile acid testing (assesses liver function) should be performed initially and if nothing untoward is found in such testing, advanced imaging should be considered. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.