Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Cat is vomitting foam. Nothing unusual that I know of,

Customer Question

Cat is vomitting white foam.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: Nothing unusual that I know of
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Chewie is his name. He's 2.3 years old. Never did this before.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chewie?
Customer: No
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is he strictly indoors?

2- Is he lethargic?

3- Any diarrhea?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Strictly indoors cat. A bit lethargic. No diarrhea that I can tell. No.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Want written reply, please.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will not be possible for me to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting t, e first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter