Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

She suddenly is running, stopping licking her back hip and

Customer Question

She suddenly is running, stopping licking her back hip and panting.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Prrrrl (pronounced Pearl) 8 months.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: She doesn't want to be touched.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: We have another cat who's not experienceing anything.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hello, again.

I'm sorry Prrrrl is exhibiting these worrisome symptoms.

There is a condition called feline hyperesthesia, in which a cat's back may become very sensitive, twitch or 'ripple', and she will take off running all of a sudden, and try to lick or bite her back hip/sides, and/or tail, frantically. It's possible that this is what Prrrrl is experiencing, but the panting is of concern. Of course, if she continues to run, she could be tiring herself out and that's why she's panting.

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/HyperesthesiaSyndrome.cfm

------------

She could have gotten bitten or stung by a spider or insect or even be having a reaction to fleas or mites (even though you can't see them).

If she doesn't want to be touched, it's because she's in pain, so there's not much you can do from home, not knowing what's causing her symptoms. It would be best to get her seen in person by a vet, asap, to get a definite diagnosis and treatment.

You can throw a big towel or blanket over her, from the back (including her head) and put her in her carrier to head to the vet or ER vet if your vet is not open, now.

I hope all will be well with Prrrrl, and please let me know how she's doing and what the vet's findings are. Thanks!

I hope you feel that I have given you Great Service. If so, a 5 star rating would be very appreciated. Your rating should be based solely on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated for their assistance, until a positive rating is given.

If you have any other, related questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to follow up with you at no additional charge, even after you have rated.

Warmest wishes,

Cher