Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

How are you? I took my cat to the vet who I sent you

Customer Question
pictures of the other day...
How are you? I took my cat to the vet who I sent you pictures of the other day and he was diagnosed with ringworm. He has been prescribed Sporanox .6ml a day for three weeks (one week on, one week off) and two anti-fungal shampoo baths per week. I'm reading online that I have to keep him quarantined. Is this really true? I've been vacuuming, disinfecting with bleach and mopping daily (I don't have carpet in my apartment - only laminate) as well as have washed all of my bedding/towels. I have vaccumed and sprayed my couches with disinfectant spray and now have them covered with sheets for easier access. I am changing my clothes and washing my hands after every encounter. I really don't want to keep him locked up. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/2/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's very unlikely that Jeter would still be contagious after being bathed a couple of times and dosed with the Sporanox (itraconazole) for a week. I vote that you don't quarantine him after a week of those treatments. Continue to wash thoroughly after handling Jeter. It isn't necesssary to change your clothes unless he has contacted them. Please note that vacuuming is discouraged as it can widely disperse fungal spores. Otherwise, you've done nicely vis a vis environmental decontamination. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great. Thank you so much! He hates being separated from us. I'll stop vacuuming. Should I do anything else in it's placement? Thank you

Mopping as you've done should replace vacuuming and will be more effective in removing stray fungal spores. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One last question, how will I know the ringworm is clearing up? It looks the same

That's done by Jeter's vet. We need to see two negative fungal cultures a month apart.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great- thank you

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jeter. How is everything going?