Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

My cat has a slight bloody drainage from his eyes, and has

Customer Question

My cat has a slight bloody drainage from his eyes, and has also a spot he keeps scratches raw on his face.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: I don't know how old he is. He just came up and is a very loving cat. I just want to help him. We have a sores to collar on for fleas. Could that be the problem?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: No, he gave me Surolan for the spot on his face to stop him from scratching, and said it was rust from his eyes, but I know it is blood.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 2 months ago.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

Can you send me a picture of your cats face so I can see what you are talking about?

I will also let you know that my flea collars are not working very well this summer for flea bite allergy cases. You may consider getting him some advantage multi for cats or revolution (topically applied flea preventatives) to help him.

Did your veterinarian estimate how old they thought he is?

Is he indoor now, or indoor /outdoor, or outdoor only?

He could have a condition called Dry Eye (Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca) which can cause them to have constant eye irritation and have dark brownish discharge which can look very much like dried blood.

Eye allergies can also lead to chronic eye discharge and tearing and the tears as they build can darken quite a lot in color and appear darkish red. To truly know If this is real blood or not you can get a piece of the discharge and mix it with hydrogen peroxide (not on his face but take some discharge and mix it with hydrogen peroxide on a paper towel and if It is blood it will fizz) Another way is to use a microscope slide and press it gently to the discharge and then stain it and look under a microscope (this would have to be done at your Veterinarian's office)

Testing for dry eye involves testing the tear production and if it is found to be low ti means eye drops to help the tear production for life to avoid corneal scaring and vision loss.

Eye allergies generally are diagnosed by visual examination and if the conjunctiva is red then allergy eye drops or steroid eye drops can really help these cats.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for this wonderful information. I had a Soresto flea collar on him, but I have taken it of to see if it will help

Once I can see a picture I can get better idea about what is going on with your kitty.

The sore on his face is strange makes me think it if it a bacterial skin infection he may need an antibiotic injection and if it is that itchy maybe a steroid injection (short acting).

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I took a picture and it seems to be attached.

Downloading

Really blurry I cannot see clearly

It appears like the discharge is really dark though which fits for possible eye allergies. Also with your cat having a white face we will get dark tear staining because the proteins in tears naturally stain white fur a dark brown copper red color. We see this in white animals a lot ( like Maltese's with tear staining or cocker spaniels or Persian cats or white cats )

http://www.alwaysbrighteyes.com/index.html

This product can help and you can buy it online at the site or see if you can get it amazon for cheaper

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks again, your answer makes sense. I will try to get a picture of his sore, so you cn make a better diagnosis.

I have to go see an appointment will be right back

Ok back

I cannot be 100% on any diagnosis because I am not able to examine him.

The spot on his face may mean he needs the antibiotic injection and short acting steroid I was speaking about

Often topical therapies in cats do not work as well because they are so good at licking or cleaning them off. You may also consider getting him an e-collar (cone) so he cannot scratch his face and therefore will allow the sore to heal.

Good luck with your cat I hope this helped. I will keep an eye out for another picture and if it come through and I need to make additional recommendations I will.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** were right and you verified and answered all my concerns. God bless you.

You are most welcome