Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
97222438

Need to take my cat on a 8 hr car trip told to give benadryl

Customer Question

Need to take my cat on a 8 hr car trip told to give benadryl any suggestion s
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Richard Rawling replied 2 months ago.

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Benadryl can be used in these situations as it can cause drowsiness as a side effect however its effect can be unreliable. Have you travelled with your cat before?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No he is just a yr. Old a very loving pet that seems to be attached to me
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am relocating. I've been told it takes 10 for a cat to adjust I don't want to do anything that would harm him if I use benadryl how much do I give him

The higher dose of benadryl that is safe would be 0.5mg/lb. There is also a medication called zylkene which can be used for a few days before travel and on the day of travel that can have a mild calming effect. Dosing with zylkene at 75mg twice daily, starting 5 days before your travel and continuing for 5 days after you move can help both with the travel and with the stress of the move.

Another tip I have from my own cat is to cover the cat carrier with a jacket etc, this can help keep stressy cat a little calmer if it is dark for them.

I hope you have found this advice useful and please don`t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.
If you are happy with the advice offered please don`t forget to rate me as this is the only way the website has of providing me with feedback.
If you don`t click the stars, the website does not acknowledge me for the time I spend helping here!
Thankyou so much,

Hi Barb,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sammy. How is everything going?

Richard Rawling