Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Cat has patches of what looks like dried blood on her chin. She does not like me touching or messing with the area. She

Customer Question
She has patches of...

She has patches of what looks like dried blood on her chin. She does not like me touching or messing with the area. She is one year old and spends a good deal of time outside. All of the dishes we use are stainless.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/1/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

It isn't clear to me if you're seeing feline acne complicated by a secondary bacterial infection or, instead, her chin is abscessed due to a bite wound. Can you upload a photo(s) of her chin to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

I don't have those icons. Based on what I have read and seen in pictures posted on-line, it appears to be the cat acne. There are no signs of bites.
I apologize for taking up your time. I'm sure there are more serious problems out there. Thank you!

Thank you. Here's my synopsis of feline acne for you:

Feline acne is a disorder of follicular keratinization (keratin is a structural protein in skin) and glandular hyperplasia (swelling of normal glands). Asymptomatic comedones (blackheads) form on the chin, the lower lip, and occasionally, the upper lip. Papules and pustules and, rarely, furunculosis (“boils”) and cellulitis (inflammation of cells) may develop if lesions become secondarily infected...as appears to be the case here. In severe cases, affected skin may become edematous, thickened, cystic, or scarred. Here’s how feline acne is addressed:

1) Any secondary bacterial infection should be treated with appropriate systemic antibiotics for at least 2-3 weeks. Malassezia (yeast) infections should be treated with fluconazole at 10 mg/kg (4.5 mg/lb) daily for a month.

2) Hairs around lesions should be clipped, warm water compresses applied, and affected areas cleansed with human alcohol free acne pads, or with benzoyl peroxide-, sulfur-salicylic acid-, or ethyl lactate-containing shampoo every 1-2 days until lesions resolve, then as needed for maintenance control. Often frequent chin cleaning (every 2-3 days) is needed to prevent relapses.

3) Alternate topical products that may be effective when used every 1-3 days or on an as-needed basis include the following:

Mupirocin ointment or cream (prescription)

2.5% benzoyl peroxide gel (over the counter/may be irritating in some cats)

0.01 – 0.025% tretinoin cream or lotion (prescription)

0.75% metronidazole gel (prescription)

Clindamycin-, erythromycin-, or tetracycline-containing topicals (prescriptions)

For severe refractory cases, systemic vitamin A therapy may be effective.

The prognosis is good, but lifelong symptomatic treatment is often necessary for control. Unless secondary infection occurs, this is a cosmetic disease that doesn’t affect a cat’s quality of life. Considering that she won't allow your ministrating to the area, it would be prudent to have her vet take a look at your cat's skin and devise therapy that would minimize your needing to directly touch her skin.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Great information! Thank you!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian