Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat 9 years old is sneezing with an occasional cough. He…

Customer Question
Hi my cat 9...

Hi my cat 9 years old is sneezing with an occasional cough. He has had his teeth checked and cleaned. He is otherwise very healthy. He has had a swob taken results were negative He also had blood tests which were also negative. My vet now wants to xray his nasal and throat. He had about of these symptons in march and was given antibiotics which cleared the sneezing in a week. I think he is allergic to something. What do you think.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the cat's name?

He is called Mousey and was a rescued cat 5 years ago. He was emaciated and riddled with flees and lice.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mousey?

Before I had him he was very ill I am not sure the exact diagnoses

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/1/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. IF YOU GET REQUEST FOR A PHONE CALL, IT IS FROM THE WEBSITE AND NOT MYSELF. JUST IGNORE IT. Allergies are possible, but if your vet hasn't x-rayed the chest, I would actually start there. Feline asthma is the most common cause of these symptoms. It usually develops as an allergy. I am not sure what the heartworm situation is like where you live, but that is definitely a concern in my area, and the symptoms look just like asthma. I would also want to rule out a heart problem. Coughing is not as common with heart problems in cats, and you usually hear a murmur, but it definitely still needs to be investigated. If blood work looked good, you can always ask your vet to try him on a round of prednisolone, which would help with allergies or asthma. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.