Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My female cat keeps closing her right eye and it seems to be

Customer Question

My female cat keeps closing her right eye and it seems to be watering. She seems fine otherwise but I think that she might have an infection. Are there drops I can buy to help with this or should I take her to the vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 3 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dax?
Customer: Not that I can think of. i have had her for 3 years and this is the first medical issues in the last 2 years.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Dax.

It's certainly possible that her eye is just irritated but if she's keeping it closed, then this usually signifies pain or discomfort as might be seen from a scratch or injury to the cornea.

If the discharge is green or yellow, then this may mean that a secondary infection if present.

I do have several acceptable otc options which I'll list below and which can be safely used in her eye; however, if you don't see improvement in a day or so and/or the eye looks worse, then a vet visit may be wise.

The Systane products which are listed can be used but the ones with vasoconstrictors, such as naphazoline should be avoided. These products are labeled as "taking the red out" or for "red eye".

Duralube
Duolube
Lacrilube
Genteal PM
Refresh PM
Tears Naturale Nighttime
Systane Nighttime

Systane Ultralubricant sterile eye drops
Soothe Nighttime
Advanced Eye Relief Nighttime
Hypotears ointment
Akwa Tears ointment

I recommend treating 3 times a day.

I hope this helps, Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on on Dax. How are things going with her eye? Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb