Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 10 year old cat has been off his feed lately and not

Customer Question
My 10 year...

My 10 year old cat has been off his feed lately and not socializing (stays in the corner of the living room) He's not his normal enthusiastic self Also his meowing is off.. Took him to vet, they ran tests but didn't find anything. I am concerned for him

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

He has chronic bronchiatus his last prednosone treatment was about a month ago Also he has one eye removed due to glaucoma and the one that left is beginning to get a catarac

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/31/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your 10-year old cat is not socializing and the voice has changed. Recent blood tests were normal. Is that a correct summary? Can you also please tell me if there has been any vomiting or hair balls in his history?

Not very often - maybe once or twice since the beginning of the year.
I am sorry to hear about what is happening. Voice changes are always going to affect the larynx where the vocal chords are located. This problem will not likely show up on a routine blood test, but that was still a good idea to perform for a baseline health screening. The things that can affect the larynx in cats include inflammation of the airway (i.e. bronchitis), inflammation of the esophagus, or a mass that is compressing the larynx. Any of these can also cause a behavior change. However, the fact that he has had glaucoma in the past is also a concern in his situation and the other eye should also be screened. That would not cause a voice change, but it could cause a behavior change.Besides checking the eye pressure, the next diagnostic step is to get some images of the larynx. X-rays are a good initial imaging test, but a MRI may be the most useful if there is a mass that is too small to show on a x-ray. If there is a potential for esophagitis then there is no test for that. It is simply treated with an antacid (i.e. Pepcid, Zantac) for a period of 7-10 days.
I hope that helps. I will be standing by if you have any other questions. If you have no our questions, I would greatly appreciate a positive review. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry