Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

How can I deter a ne4ighborhood cat from using my flower box…

Customer Question
How can I deter...

How can I deter a ne4ighborhood cat from using my flower box for a litter box?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

I find that the neighborhood can is using my flower box for a litter box/. How can I stop him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

I don't know anything about the cat except some neighbors feed him ; I never have but I always have to pick out his shit from my flower box.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the cat's name and age?

I don't know.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/31/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now these can be frustrating situations, still in regards ***** ***** this cat's visits to your flower box, we can try a few options. To start, you can spray ammonia or vinegar around the box (do be aware that in high levels these are weed killers and can kill your plants if sprayed directly upon it). There are even some products on the market (ie Havaheart) that use black pepper in their sprays to deter cats.

As well, there are also some plants that can be used as natural, cat-safe deterrents. Examples of pungent plants cats do not like are lavender, rue, geranium, lemon-thyme, citrus plants. These can be planted along either your fence or the border of your land if you do not have a fence. In this vein, there is a new garden plant on the market called Coleus canina (aka Pee-off and Scaredy-cat plant). All of these plants have a pungent odor that repels cats from the garden. These should available from a number of garden suppliers.

Other tactics include chemical scent deterrents (ie Citronella) or synthetic territory markers (ie. Silent Roar). Alternatively, try orange or lemon peel or tea leaves in the flower box to put this cat off the area. Otherwise, if you wish to keep the cat away from the whole garden, then we can find the use of a Motion Activated Sprinkler or Ultrasonic Repellent beneficial. The sprinkler can spook the cat as it invades and the ultrasonic repellent works by producing a high pitched noise that we cannot hear but is unpleasant to animal's more sensitive ears.
Therefore, there are a range of options you can use to deter them from visiting your flower box and encourage it to go elsewhere.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.